Guyana magistrate withdraws arrest warrant for Azruddin Mohamed, issues final warning on bail

1 day ago 3

Guyana Principal Magistrate Judy Latchman on Monday withdrew an arrest warrant issued earlier in the day for US-indicted businessman and opposition leader Azruddin Mohamed, but warned that his bail now hangs in the balance if he is late to court again.

- Advertisement -

728x90 Joy and Happiness

Extradition committal proceedings were scheduled to resume at 9:00 a.m. at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts. When Mohamed failed to appear at the appointed time, the magistrate issued an arrest warrant at approximately 9:05 a.m.

He arrived about 30 minutes later and apologised.

Magistrate Latchman reminded him that he had previously been late and had been warned that “9 o’clock is 9 o’clock.” She made it clear that punctuality was not optional. When Mohamed insisted that he had just reasons for his lateness, the magistrate responded that while he may believe his reasons are justified, the court must ensure that justice proceeds without disruption.

“In your mind, your reasons are just,” she told him. “But the wheels of justice must continue to turn.”

“At this point in time, I am very much inclined to rescind your bail and remand you,” she said, adding that such a step would guarantee his attendance at future hearings.

Uber Free Rides 728x90

“I will not tolerate your excuses,” the magistrate warned.

State prosecutor Terrence Williams expressed concern that repeated disruptions could significantly prolong the matter. He indicated he was troubled by the possibility that proceedings could stretch out for years if not tightly managed and urged that the process not be allowed to drift.

He cautioned against allowing anything to affect “the bail and the temper of justice.”

- Advertisement -

Despite the strong warning, Magistrate Latchman ultimately decided against revoking bail.

“At this point in time, I will temper justice with mercy,” she said, before withdrawing the warrant.

However, she made it clear that this would be the final warning.

“Do not let this happen again,” she cautioned, indicating that on the next occasion she would rescind bail and remand him to prison.

The matter was adjourned to February 18 at 9:00 a.m. for continuation of the extradition committal proceedings.

Read Entire Article